About Diabetes Management
Getting the best care for your diabetes begins with the choices you make every day – what to eat, how to stay physically active, and how often to check your blood sugar levels. Our dedicated team at Doral Health & Wellness provides support for those dealing with pre-diabetes, gestational diabetes, as well as Type 1 and 2 diabetes.
Our skilled staff members at the Doral Health & Wellness for Diabetes Management work closely with patients to manage their diabetes and help them gain access to the latest information, technology, and treatments. Our compassionate team of clinicians offers patient support through educational programs, including self-management education and nutritional counseling. Diabetes educators work closely with patients’ primary care providers to ensure a patient-centered approach to your care.
Make your appointment today with your primary care doctor to determine whether you should be referred to Doral’s highly qualified specialists in Brooklyn, NY.
WE ACCEPT MEDICAID, MEDICARE, HMOs AND MOST OTHER INSURANCES
Patients of Doral Health & Wellness are referred by their primary care provider and our multispecialty Medical Center. For additional information on Diabetes Management, please call (718) 971-1944.
Diabetes Care Conditions Treated:
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Gestational Diabetes
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Failure
What is Diabetes
Diabetes occurs when you lack the hormone insulin or when your insulin is not working correctly to move blood sugar (blood glucose) to your body’s cells. This causes glucose to rise to abnormally high levels in your blood, which can damage your organs.
SIGNS YOU MAY HAVE DIABETES
You may have diabetes but not experience any symptoms. Or you may have one or more of the following symptoms:
• Excessive thirst
• Excessive hunger
• Unusual weight loss
• Slow-healing sores
• Foot pain or numbness
• Blurry eyesight
Types of Diabetes
• Type 1 diabetes, also called juvenile diabetes, is an autoimmune disease in which the body destroys cells that make insulin. You’ll need insulin injections to manage this type of diabetes.
• Type 2 diabetes is more common. It occurs when your body does not use insulin properly. Over time, your body cannot produce enough insulin to function correctly — causing glucose to build up in the blood, damaging your organs.
• Gestational diabetes is type 2 diabetes that develops during pregnancy and goes away after the baby is born. If you develop gestational diabetes, you have an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life.
If you are overweight or physically inactive, you are at higher risk for diabetes. You are also at higher risk if family members have diabetes. With regular checkups, your provider can check for early signs of the disease — which allows for proper treatment to prevent the development of severe health problems.
Doral Health & Wellness Diabetic Care Management
If you have any symptoms of diabetes, visit your primary care provider. A blood test can determine if you have diabetes.
If you have diabetes, we will teach you how to check your blood sugar level and respond when your levels are too low or high. Type 1 diabetes is managed with regular insulin shots, while oral tablets are often useful for type 2 diabetes.
Healthy eating and physical activity are crucial to managing diabetes. Your provider may suggest you work with a dietitian to develop a healthy eating plan to control your blood sugar. Doral Health & Wellness also has specialized teams of physicians, nurses, and dietitians who can help you with education and treatment.
PREVENTING DIABETES COMPLICATIONS
High blood sugar can cause serious health problems and may contribute to the following complications:
• Kidney disease
• Nerve damage (diabetic neuropathy)
• Eye disease (diabetic retinopathy)
• Heart disease
• Loss (amputation) of feet or legs
You can prevent these complications by seeing your doctor for regular appointments and monitoring the following:
• Blood glucose
• Blood pressure
• LDL (the “bad” cholesterol)
• Kidney function
DIABETES AND MENTAL HEALTH
Doral Health & Wellness also offers psychotherapy services to help you deal with the social and emotional challenges of living with diabetes:
• Behavioral, mental, or emotional difficulties that can make it challenging to stick with diabetes treatment
• Lifestyle changes for weight management
• Stress management
• Mood or anxiety concerns
DORAL HEATH & WELLNESS EXCELLENCE IN DIABETES
• Expertise in treating all ages: In addition to treating adults, Doral Health & Wellness has a dedicated program for children and adolescents dealing with diabetes. Our team will help your child live a full and healthy life with the right medical treatments, expert disease management, and lifestyle changes.
• Specialists in Remote Patients Management: Illness and surgery can affect your blood sugar levels. At Doral Health & Wellness, patients in our Remote Patient Care Management Programs with diabetes have their blood sugar level monitored and treated by an endocrinology team member 24 hours a day
A Full Range of Services
Through a comprehensive approach towards wellness care, Doral Health & Wellness provides some of the highest quality healthcare for the elderly.
Your doctor’s qualifications:
Our specialist has the following education and credentials:
- Medical school, followed by several years of training under experienced doctors and surgeons
- Qualifications for a license to practice medicine in New York State
- Additional training and board certification in various types of surgery
Doral Health & Wellness cares about you
At Doral Health & Wellness, we are proud of our commitment to the Brownsville and East New York Community to provide integrated, interdisciplinary health services in a progressive medical facility dedicated to the health and well-being of our patients. We partner with insurance companies, managed care organizations and hospitals in the area in order to treat our patients with the highest level of care and respect.